PROSPECTIVE LIFEGUARD INFO
We will train you!
The American Red Cross Lifeguard certification course will train and certify participants to be a national lifeguard for swimming pools. The Lifeguard certification course includes the following American Red Cross certifications: Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR/AED for the professional rescuer, valid for 2 years. We teach a blended learning course format with online education, classroom and in-water components. American Red Cross requires all Lifeguard certification candidates to complete the American Red Cross Lifeguard Online Course prior to the first class date. Participants must be at least 15 years old at the time of the course.
American Red Cross requires participants to successfully complete the following prerequisites, to receive certification. Please make sure you can complete the following course prerequisites and course completion requirements before you attend class. Thank You!
1. Participants must be at least 15 years old on the last class date
2. Participants must complete the American Red Cross 8-Hour Course prior to the first-class date
3. Participants must swim 300 yards continuously, without stopping – using the front crawl or breaststroke only
4. Participants must tread water for 2 minutes, using legs only – participants may not use their arms and their face must remain at or near the surface
5. Timed Drill (1 minute, 40 sec): Participants must swim 20 yards, dive down and retrieve a 10-pound weight from 7-feet deep, then swim back another 20 yards with the 10-pound weight in their hands using their legs only. Participants must keep two hands on the weight and their face must remain at or near the surface. Once the participant reaches the pool wall, they must place the weight on the pool deck and climb out of the pool with no assistance. According to American Red Cross requirements, participants may not wear goggles for this drill.
6. The American Red Cross also requires the following for successful course completion: participants must attend all scheduled dates and times, demonstrate proficient skills and pass a written exam with a score of at least 80 percent.